First off, I tried sprouting wheat a month or so ago. I soaked the wheat for 12 hours, then rinsed it and left it in my little colander to drain, then every 10-12 hours rinsed and let drain, for a few days on my counter. All I was left with was soft, wet wheat grains... nothing. Embarrassing. So I have been waiting for this sprouting presentation since then to see what I did wrong. They recommended I put the wet wheat in a dark place. The seeds need to think they are underground, which is DARK. Well that's good to know, maybe. Then, when the seeds sprout to the size you want, put them in the light and they will become rich in chlorophyll and turn green, then they will be ready to eat. Also, maybe my wheat isn't right for sprouting. I will use it for eating whole and grinding for bread. There are a lot of different seeds that you can order at www.handypantry.com.
"One of the most common sprouts is that of the mung bean (Vigna radiata); another common sprout is the Chickpeas & alfalfa sprout and the barley sprout.
This was their demonstration. First you need a glass quart jar, and a plastic sieve lid. Put a spoonful of seeds in the jar and let them soak, for alfalfa size seeds they need at least 15 minutes to soak, mung size beans probably need 5 hours to soak, then drain it and put the jar upside down at an angle in a bowl so the water can drain out. If the seeds sit in their water, they will become moldy. Put them in a cupboard for the night, then in the morning, pour water in the jar and swish the seeds around aggressively then drink the water, because the water is full of really healthy stuff now. Put the jar back in the bowl to drain and put back in your cupboard. Then before you go to bed, repeat the water swishing and draining. Again in the morning, again at night... etc. When your sprouts are the size you want, put them in the sunlight so they turn green, then eat them. You can refrigerate them for up to a week. You eat the whole thing, seed and sprout.
After soaking, I've been told to eat one seed, try it and if it's the crunchy or softness you desire, then it's ready for sprouting. Kidney bean, Potato seed and Tomato seed sprouts are TOXIC.
Alfalfa sprouts are rich in phytochemicals, protect against cancer, heart disease, osteoporosis and fibrocystic breast disease. They stimulate natural killer cell activity, which strengthens the immune system. I've also been told they are beneficial in reducing symptoms of PMS and menopause, including hot flashes. Well that's worth it right there women! They contain high concentrations of antioxidants and are abundant sources of vitamins A, B, C, E, and K, the minerals calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and zinc. Also carotene, chlorophyll, amino acids and trace elements. They contain 35% protein. Alfalfa sprouts produce over 10 times the seeds weight in sprouts, one pound of alfalfa seed produces 10-14 pounds of sprouts.
If that isn't enough, here are 10 reasons to eat sprouts:
1. Only pennies per serving
2. Simple and Easy- once I actually do it, I will post my proud pictures and exclaim "It IS Easy!" I know you don't need to use Handy Pantry to sprout, but it may be a good start (since the seeds are grown especially for sprouting). A friend of mine sprouts wheat and regular lintels from the store.
3. Fresh and ready in just 3-7 days. This "garden in your kitchen" grows very fast in any kind of weather. No digging, planting, weeding, pests or chemicals involved.
4. Toxin-free food
5. Complete foods= super duper HEALTHY
6. Tasty and Delicious- enjoy them in salads, on sandwiches, stir fried, steamed, or baked in bread.
7. Highly Nutritious, sounds a little bit like #5 I know, not my list. But this is important, right?
8. Low in Calories and Fat- I'm a calorie and fat lover, but I can't eat fatty stuff all the time or my heart will stop working.
9. Helps Detox your body! Now this is my favorite one. I don't have to spend a fortune on all those crazy drinks to be healthy?
10. Helps Build your Immune System
2 comments:
Yay! Thanks. I have lots of dry beans and lentils in my pantry and sprouting them would be a great way to use them. Thanks for the info and wish me luck. Good luck with yours as well!
we had a RS enrichment about wheat too and sprouting was part of it.. and they also said it had to be in a dark place. Sis. Malloy has tons of wheat recipes and knows a lot about sprouting if you have any questions. The longer you sprout too it seemed like the sweeter they were.. or the opposite.. I can't remember.
Post a Comment